Grade 12 Art - Studio Assignments
You will learn several new Studio Assignments during the course of this semester. The aim is for the majority of these projects to be completed during class time with teacher assistance, but you may wish to work on them further at home if need be.
COLLECTION REFERENCE MATERIAL FOR THE STUDIO PROJECTS:
When you collect any requested images, please have them readily accessible for class. They can be in your sketchbook or saved to your phone (your choice), whatever is most accessible for you.
1. Find a childhood stuffy / toy that you can bring to class
(we will photograph it for our oil painting assignment)
2. - collect images of vintage advertising that you like
- collect images of logos you like (old school or new)
- collect images of products you either love or hate
- find a picture of a snack / food / drink that you loved as a kid
3. Look at the art of members of the PAINTERS 11 (a Canadian group of abstract painters). Collect THREE images you like.
NOTE: Which of the members do you like most for their work? Why? Which do you like least based on their work? Why?
Below is a copy of the rubric that will be used for evaluation purposes when completing your studio assignments this semester. Feel free to download and use for reference purposes....
Here is a list of the studio media that we will be using and a summary of our learning goals for each one...
1. Oil Painting (K-10 marks, A-20 marks)
(subject matter: Toy from your childhood)
- to achieve a realistic image through a range of values in an underpainting
- to achieve a realistic image through the use of colours through glazing
- to achieve a realistic textures through the blending of the oil paints
2. Acrylic Painting: Methods of Abstraction
(C-10 marks, A-20 marks)
(subject matter: abstract / non-representational)
- to use methods of abstraction (as demonstrated in class)
- to apply an understanding of composition and colour theory
- to experiment with a modern art form
3. Silkscreening (K-10 marks, A-20 marks)
(subject matter: Pop Art subjects such as logos, products, etc.)
- to create visual interest through a variety of shapes
- to achieve effective layering and registration of 2-3 stencils in a print
- to achieve clean and consistent printing using silkscreen method
4. Drawing (A-20 marks)
(subject matter: various drawing practice activities)
- to advance our drawings in terms of techniques and approach
- to produce high quality and complete works of art in drawing